Is it worth reading Arthshastra by Kautilya
Arthashastra, or, The Playbook of Material Gain (Annotated)
"Truly radical 'Machiavellianism', in the popular sense of that word, is classically expressed in Indian literature in the Arthashastra of Kautilya (written long before the birth of Christ, ostensibly in the time of Chandragupta): compared to it, Machiavelli's The Prince is harmless. "(Max Weber," Politics as a Vocation "(1919))
Chanakya's treatise, written while turning a farmhand into the emperor of the largest empire India had ever seen, focuses on how to manage an empire, covering everything from domestic policy and personal rights to assassination and the dirtier arts of politics. This is not, as with Plato's Republic, a work of theory. Chanakya’s guidance is entirely practical and is based on both his education and his experience building an empire. It lacks the philosophical ponderings and moralizing of its equivalent Western works (such as The Prince, The Republic, or Leviathan) and instead focuses on how one deals with the messiness of the world in practice. People will occasionally refer to Chanakya as an Indian Machiavelli, but this does some discredit to Chanakya. The Prince is a satire and focused around exposing the tactics and inhumanity of Cesare Borgia. Arthashastra is a manual for every aspect of statecraft, and while it deals in the unethical, it does so only because that is, after all is said and done, one of the options available to a ruler.
If you're after a totally pragmatic analysis of leadership, stripped of moralizing and focused on what works and how to deal with real-world issues, this is the audiobook for you.
- How common is animal
- Can Muslims Eat Bacon Crisps Chips
- How do I play Miss Fortune
- What is muon tomography
- How do people become unique to others
- Is Etihad a Star Alliance
- How is MIT University in Pune?
- How do I stay safe when I go alone
- What is Mitchell Torok's most successful song
- Uber is unsure
- What are mixed and unmixed tracks
- What are good alternatives to Moleskine notebooks
- Why do young people waste money
- Now that I'm up we can talk
- Which scientist discovered the core
- What are the best acoustic country songs
- Why do Quentin Tarantinos work so special
- How can land appreciate
- Which country is partly in the Arctic?
- Ejaculate more quickly uncircumcised during sex
- What lives for you
- Is the TV show Der Draht good
- Why mitral regurgitation causes left ventricular hypertrophy
- Is the brain theory real or imaginary