Feel reptiles love
How you can help with a few simple steps
Lizards like to bathe in the sun, feed on spiders and hide in wall niches or brushwood piles. With little tricks you can quickly turn your own garden into a lizard paradise.
Sand lizard sunbathing. - Photo: NABU / Hartmut Mai
There are four different types of lizards in Baden-Württemberg: the rare green lizard, the forest or mountain lizard, the slightly larger sand lizard and the wall lizard. They all have one thing in common: They love warmth.
What does that mean for your own garden? Very simple: For example, creating a little space for sunbathing. Bricks or leftover paving slabs can be used for this. They warm up in the sunshine and the little reptiles enjoy it.
Lizards are good climbers who retreat to frost-free crevices to hibernate in winter. “Retreats are of great importance. Not only for winter rest, but also to protect against enemies such as house cats or birds, ”explains NABU specialist Hubert Laufer. If there are already stones in the garden, they can simply be piled up to form a dry stone wall. This means that the wall is deliberately not mortared or grouted, but offers many crevices and hiding spots. Not only do lizards feel at home there, but also their preferred food: spiders and insects.
Brushwood piles also offer numerous advantages for people and nature: "In addition to lizards, many other animals such as hedgehogs, rabbits and various species of birds find shelter and good living conditions there," says Laufer. The brush pile is very easy to create for humans and has the additional advantage that part of the clippings that arise can be disposed of very easily.
"If you want to make your own garden lizard-friendly, the best thing to do is to create many dry areas with many crevices and gaps," says Laufer. There are no limits to creativity. Whether dry stone wall, sticks or piles of stones - even if it may not sound like that at first - such garden elements can also be designed visually beautiful. For example, when these tiny biotopes are planted or delimited by small stones.
I want for nature conservation
- Why should we visit the Hunza Valley
- How is chemical engineering at MMMUT
- Is it immoral to kill an ant?
- How is biotechnology different from genetic modification?
- What is Froyo on a Galaxy S.
- What lurks variable
- What is Gyan Yoga
- Helps NLP training with depression
- How do you make marble slabs shine
- Mania is a withdrawal symptom from Lexapro
- Tesla Motors was profitable in 2014
- What are the best military books
- What are some interesting facts about Oklahoma
- Overall, Crossfit is good for people
- What came before atoms
- Can Black Panther walk on water
- Why is it called stone soup
- What causes frost in a freezer
- Mark Zuckerberg cares about the environment
- Is Michael Crichton considered the upstream writer
- Where do rich Asian Americans live
- How is Cardiff Wales
- What does gross tax mean
- What is optical computing