Should dictionaries be descriptive or prescriptive
Part of speech: adjectiveIncreases:
- positive prescriptive, Comparative —, Superlative —
- pre | script | tive, No increase
- IPA: [pʁɛskʁɪpˈtiːf]
- 1) Linguistics: seen from the judgmental perspective, from which there is “right” and “wrong” in the use of language
- from the Latinpraescriptivus "Prescriptive"
- 1) defining, normative, prescriptive
- 1) [factual] descriptive, descriptive
- 1) Off more prescriptive The use of this formulation is simply wrong.
- 1) “These formulations show the turning away from one rather prescriptive Language description in favor of a more descriptive orientation. "
- English: 1) prescriptive
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in German:
„One of the innovations in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 is the IBM-owned company, the System Roles, the prescriptive and should provide automated paths for operating system configurations.“
Linux-Magazin Online, October 30, 2020
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Grammar / Declinations
Inflection prescriptive - The declension of the adjective prescriptive
|Masculine||the prescriptive||of the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive|
|Feminine||the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive|
|neuter||the prescriptive||of the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive|
|Plural||the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive||the prescriptive|
|Masculine||a prescriptive one||a prescriptive||a prescriptive||a prescriptive one|
|Feminine||a prescriptive one||a prescriptive one||a prescriptive one||a prescriptive one|
|neuter||a prescriptive one||a prescriptive||a prescriptive||a prescriptive one|
|Feminine||prescriptive||more prescriptive||more prescriptive||prescriptive|
Thesaurus & Synonyms
- normative: valid as a norm, setting a norm
Another word (synonym) for prescriptive - Source: OpenThesaurus
Entries from our dictionary that contain "prescriptive":
normative: normative, prescriptive, judgmental Opposite words: 1) descriptive, descriptive Examples of use: 1) A normative grammar wants to determine which way of speaking or writing is to be considered correct
Libya: Libya (German) part of speech: noun, (neuter), part of speech: toponym Comment on pronunciation: “The name of the North African state is often pronounced [ˈlyːbi̯ən], although ...
descriptive:… Dēscrīptīvus goes back. Synonyms: descriptive Opposite words: 1) prescriptive, normative 2) argumentative, normative, judgmental Examples of use: 1) descriptive ...
Descriptive linguistics: The term descriptive linguistics emphasizes above all that linguistics sees its main task not in establishing linguistic norms and thus having a prescriptive effect, but in describing language
School grammar: School grammars are based on the knowledge of scientific grammar, but unlike these are not designed to be complete and are more normative (prescriptive)
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Prescriptive" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (23.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/präskriptiv/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. You can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term "prescriptive" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
prescriptive (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | skrip | ti | ve Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
prescriptive grammar (German) Part of speech: noun, (feminine), part of speech: word combination, adjectival declination syllable separation: ...
prescriptive (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | skrip | ti | vem Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
prescriptive (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | skrip | ti | ven Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
more prescriptive (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | skrip | ti | ver Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
prescriptive (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | skrip | ti | ves Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
pre-stabilize (German) Part of speech: conjugated form subsidiary forms: pre-stabilized syllable division: pre | sta | bi | lier…
pre-stabilize (German) Part of Speech: Conjugated Form Secondary Forms: 2nd Person Singular Imperative Present Active: prästabilier…
pre-stabilize (German) Part of Speech: Verb Conjugations: Present: ich prästabiliere; you are pre-stabilizing; he, she, it pre-established ...
pre-stabilizing (German) Part of Speech: Participle I Hyphenation: pre | sta | bi | lie | rend Pronunciation / Stress: IPA:…
pre-stabilizing (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | sta | bi | lie | ren | de Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
pre-stabilizing (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: pre | sta | bi | lie | ren | dem Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
- Is it fun to learn psychology
- What percentage of communication is body language
- Chronic nose picking is an actual disorder
- How important are earthworms in our ecosystem
- What are hardwood solids in furniture
- Which is the best social media platform
- What are some characteristics of limestones
- Where can I get the best bouquet
- What's wrong with the adolescent system
- What is the yield curve
- Are you ever jealous of someone?
- What's your favorite Righteous Brothers song
- Who is Antonio Gramsc
- What rhymes with the budget
- Gmail is a google account
- Why shouldn't I see strange things
- Why did Obama cancel the space program
- Which nootropics are best for mental alertness
- Why does billionaire read so many books
- How many Chinese restaurants in San Francisco
- Ruined rain leather shoes
- Are there valid arguments against atheism?
- Which color is the bluest
- Has technology helped Nigeria