Can I give myself bipolar disorder?
Psychiatry, Psychosomatics & Psychotherapy
What is Bipolar Disease?
Bipolar disorders are severe, chronic mental illnesses that are characterized by manic and depressive mood swings. The mania presents itself as an exaggerated feeling of excitement and those affected are mostly overactive, euphoric or irritable at the same time. This phase is followed by more or less pronounced depression, with a depressed mood, listlessness and sadness. The mood swings occur episodically and independently of the current life situation.
If the mood swings are personality traits without serious consequences for the person concerned and the environment, one speaks of "cyclothymia". However, if these phases are more pronounced, i.e. longer phases of depression alternate with manic phases with high spirits, significantly increased thirst for action and irritability, which have negative consequences for the person concerned, one speaks of manic-depressive illness.
It is estimated that around 1 to 3% of the population is affected. Women and men get sick with the same frequency. Many patients experience their first episode of the disease around the age of 18, but the disorder is usually only recognized later.
The causes of the disease are not fully understood. Hereditary predisposition and external influences such as stressful events seem to play a certain role. An above-average number of creative people suffer from bipolar illness.
Technical support: Prof. Dr. Gregor Hasler, Bern (SGPP) and Prof. Dr. med. Michael Bauer, Dresden (DGPPN), Dr. Roger Pycha, Bruneck (SIP)
- How do I become an environmentalist
- What should I not miss in Thailand?
- Is OSPF TCP or UDP
- Is Billie Eilish satanic
- What are the examples of geostationary satellites
- Can i play airsoft in India
- Did a black man invent the computer?
- How do I deal with erotic transference?
- Is Bohemian Rhapsody a real rhapsody
- How do I contact Yahoo customer support
- Why isn't Wildbow more popular?
- What is the northernmost active volcano on earth
- Korean pop music is often referred to as what
- Who is your favorite impressionism artist
- Is Opus Dei really the Knights Templar?
- Are you going to miss school after you graduate?
- Which is better iPhone or Samsung 1
- What does the Nestle logo symbolize
- Should I leave university to travel?
- How does a 3D television work
- What courses are there on Coursera
- What is Dream11 Math
- Have sympathy for bullies
- What are the best NumPy resources
- How do you remove blood from knitwear
- How do international tourists travel to India
- Where should I do my PhD abroad?
- Why is the type w_char introduced in C ++
- Develops Zend Framework applications
- Why does our mind control our success
- How thick should my table legs be
- There is a tough problem with humor
- How do you inspire yourself to concentrate
- Have you ever tested anything on TikTok