What was the oldest shipwreck ever found
Oldest intact shipwreck discovered in the world
Archaeologists have made a sensational find 80 kilometers off the coast of Bulgaria: at a depth of over 2000 meters, they discovered what is probably the oldest intact shipwreck in the world. It is thanks to the lack of oxygen at this depth of the sea that the ship's hull, mast, oars and oar banks are still completely intact, according to the researchers.
"I would never have thought a ship so old and intact, lying in more than two kilometers of water deep, possible. It will change our understanding of shipbuilding and seafaring in the ancient world," says Professor Jon Adams, senior scientist at Black Sea Maritime Archeology Project (MAP), in the official statement on this find.
Built in 400 BC
The archaeologists suspect that the wreck was a Greek merchant ship. A ship of this special type is known only from depictions on ancient Greek ceramics, such as the "Siren Vase" in the British Museum in London.
By radiocarbon dating a small sample, they found that the shipwreck is a good 2,400 years old and was built around 400 BC. According to the researchers, it is the oldest intact shipwreck in the world known to mankind. The international research team had the expedition accompanied by cameras:
The shipwreck is supposed to stay on the ocean floor
The scientists of the Black Sea Maritime Archeology Project discovered the old shipwreck as part of a three-year mapping project in which they searched 2000 square kilometers of the sea floor using sonar and a remote-controlled deep-sea camera system.
The archaeologists discovered other shipwrecks. The researchers found a total of around 60 ships on the seabed, including Roman merchant ships and a whole Cossack attack fleet from the 17th century.
The spectacular wreck of the old Greek merchant ship will remain on the seabed in the future.#Subjects
- Is it legal to have a monobrow
- What do you love about agriculture
- Passenger aircraft can have a delta wing configuration
- What distinguishes a Louis Vuitton handbag
- What is your favorite MMO computer game
- Are dogs allowed in IIT hostels
- Do you think Plea Bargan will work
- Can dear Zindagi win the Oscar?
- What is a barcode reader
- What does a kaenguru cost
- What happened between Eminem and his wife
- Which is populous China or Greenland
- What are some ideas for bullet journal pages
- How far is Yelahanka from Marathahalli
- Where can you buy vegan cheese
- What toppers hide from normal students
- 4 times which equals 100
- How much is Anderson Cooper worth
- Can i fish in my garden
- Why are toddlers fussy eaters
- Do you like people, people like
- Where can I buy cheap English books
- Why are mitochondria called semi-autonomous
- Is there depression or are they all having problems
- What does thumbnail mean on YouTube
- Is social networking a fad
- How is music selected for movies
- What is BioTech Pro
- What has space exploration done for us
- How do I organize a marketing club
- Who is the versatile actor in Bollywood
- Why is job cuts a bad thing
- What are you running away for