Why do poison ivy bubbles ooze

Playground maintenance: which plants are suitable?

They bloom colorfully and they smell wonderful! But some of them harbor great dangers: Poisonous plants! According to the EN 1176 playground standard, the following plants are not allowed to grow on playgrounds so that children are not exposed to the risk of poisoning in playgrounds: eu cone, daphne, holly and laburnum.

But the list of poisonous plants is much longer. You can read here in our blog post which plants are suitable for playgrounds and which are not.

 

The top 15 most poisonous plants

  1. Monkshood: The monkshood is probably the most poisonous plant in Europe. The slightest touch can lead to dangerous poisoning.
  2. Hogweed (hercules shrub): Above all, the juice that escapes when the stems are cut off, in combination with exposure to the sun, can lead to reddening of the skin with blisters, as in 1st and 2nd degree burns.
  3. Henbane: Are from black henbane all parts poisonous, but especially the seeds. After consuming a few seeds, dryness of the mucous membranes, reddening of the face, severe thirst, accelerated pulse and dilated pupils can occur, and in severe cases, balance disorders and seizures up to death.
  4. Hemlock species: All fresh parts of the hemlock's plant are poisonous, especially the roots. Chewing even small pieces of root can lead to severe burning in the mouth and vomiting in severe cases even to fatal seizures.
  5. Yew: Eating chewed seeds or needles can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, dilated pupils, and noticeably red lips; In severe cases, it can even lead to unconsciousness and palpitations, resulting in death.
  6. Red thimble: The beautiful foxglove is poisonous in all parts. After consuming flowers, stems or roots, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain as well as cardiac arrhythmias, visual disturbances and hallucinations can occur.
  7. Autumn crocus: All parts of the autumn crocus are poisonous, especially the seeds. The symptoms of poisoning range from burning in the mouth, difficulty swallowing, vomiting and diarrhea, to palpitations, seizures and ascending paralysis with fatal consequences from respiratory paralysis in severe cases.
  8. Lily of the valley:The entire lily of the valley is poisonous, but especially the berries and the flowers. External contact with the plant can cause skin irritation. When consumed, nausea, diarrhea, cardiac arrhythmias, dizziness and tightness in the chest occur. Decreased blood pressure can lead to cardiac arrest. Danger: Confusion with wild garlic poses a particular danger. When collecting wild garlic, you should therefore be extremely careful.
  9. Daphne: Even touching the parts of the plant can irritate the skin in the form of reddening, blisters and pustules. Consumption of the smallest amounts can quickly lead to swelling of the lips and face, difficulty swallowing, severe headaches and abdominal pain and even confusion.
  10. Thorn apple: All parts of the thorn apple, especially the seeds and roots, are very poisonous. When consumed it can lead to reddening of the face and accelerated pulse as well as hallucinations and in particularly severe cases can lead to death.
  11. Deadly nightshade: After consumption it can lead to dryness of the mucous membranes, reddening of the face, strong thirst, accelerated pulse and dilated pupils in mild cases, in severe cases also to balance disorders, overexcitability, visual disturbances, seizures up to death.
  12. Wonder tree (castor oil): The miracle tree is poisonous in all parts. The consumption of a small amount of plant parts can cause vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea and in severe cases even kidney inflammation, kidney failure and circulatory disorders with fatal consequences.
  13. Laburnum:The whole plant is poisonous, but especially the seeds. Even the consumption of small amounts can lead to symptoms of poisoning such as vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, sweating, paleness and salivation and in severe cases even to unconsciousness, seizures and circulatory failure.
  14. Oleander: In severe cases, when consuming oleander, colic-like abdominal pain and cardiac arrhythmias can occur.
  15. Ivy: The black berries of the common ivy are particularly poisonous. Eating berries can cause throat stinging, vomiting, and / or diarrhea. Frequently touching ivy leaves or roots can lead to skin inflammation.

 

Poisonous plants not in the children's area

Please note that our list is by no means complete. There are more than 50 poisonous plant families in Europe. That is why we would like to take this opportunity to appeal to you landscape gardeners, municipal employees in the green area, child minders, educators, teachers and, of course, you parents: Be vigilant and remove poisonous plants from the play area or do not plant them in the first place. How quickly did it happen and the little ones made a flower soup with poisonous berries or collected a beautiful bouquet of lilies of the valley for mom ?!

Did you actually know that too Green beans are toxic in their raw state are? 3 to 10 green beans can cause serious symptoms of poisoning such as vomiting, diarrhea and fever in an adult. This is due to toxic protein compounds called phasin. But beans are very healthy when cooked!

 

Enlightenment is better than cure

So only that helps here enlightenment! This is probably the best prevention tool: What one does not know, one does not touch and absolutely nothing is eaten, unless the caregiver allows it. The first official act in forest kindergartens is usually the correct handling of nettles! Because the top and bottom of the sheet can be touched without any problems - you just have to know how!

 

Emergency: what to do in the event of poisoning?

Should something end up in the mouth of the little ones, there is the GIZ (Giftinformationszentrum-Nord) based in Göttingen, which can be reached around the clock. A number that you should have clearly visible and close at hand on the phone or, even better, save it. In the excitement you don't see the forest for the trees!

In an emergency it then says:

1. Keep calm and calm the child down
2. Alert help
3. Secure plant parts and / or vomit
4. DO NOT make the child vomit. Suffocation hazard!
5. Offer some water or tea. Under no circumstances milk!

Look instead of chew

The GUV (German Statutory Accident Insurance) has launched the "Look, don't chew" campaign. At http://www.kindergaerten-in-aktion.de/downloads/information-giftpflanze-beschauen-nicht-kauen you will find an overview of all poisonous plants and other important information to download.

 

Suitable plants for the playground

There are many alternatives to poisonous rhododendrons and trees of life: from ornamental grasses and herbs to fruit bushes to fragrant plants such as lavender and lilac.

Trees provide shade on and around the play area. Are very suitable Deciduous trees like sycamore maple, field maple, norway maple and ash, Fruit trees like apple and pear, as well Useful trees like chestnut, red beech and hazel.

Bushes are excellent soundproofing in playgrounds. Burdock, small balsam, snowberry and wild rose are well suited ... we used to make itching powder from the rose hips!

Also Ornamental grasses like cattails and quaking grass do well in playgrounds. And if you want it to be colorful and fragrant, we recommend you fragrant plants like lavender and lilac as well Flowers like dandelions, daisies, dead nettles and bluebells.

 

Playground maintenance: clean contaminated sand

The leaves from the trees and the flying petals pollute the play sand in playgrounds. So the sand loses its value and is sometimes no longer suitable for playing. Then you have the option of replacing all of the sand or having a professional sand cleaning carried out. Replacing all of the sand is expensive, the sand cleaning method is far cheaper. Many landscaping companies specialize in cleaning sand and filter out all of the debris.

 

You might also be interested in our contribution on the subject of "questionable plants": "You ask, we answer: The forest hut "