What is an international driver's license

International Driver's License - Where to Get It and What You Need it for


Write a new comment

  1. I have a driver's license from Gambia (West Africa) and now live in Germany and of course I would like to drive a car here too. What do I have to do?

  2. Hello everybody

    This information is not complete.

    There are three different ‘International driving licenses’

    International Agreement of 1926 (Paris)

    International Convention of 1949 (Geneva)

    International Agreement of 1968 (Vienna)

    Not every country has ratified all three agreements.
    Not every international driver's license is valid in every country.

    Most countries recognize the international driving license according to the 1949 Convention (Geneva)

    Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland only issue an international driving license according to the 1968 agreement.

    This means that in most countries you drive a vehicle without a permit.

    • Hello Dominique,

      Thank you for pointing this out, we have added a more specific section of text to the relevant passage. Many countries, however, accept the other international driver's license in a fair manner.

      The editors of bussgeldkatalog.org

  3. Why do I have to exchange my unlimited driving license first? I thought we had legal security in our country.
    It is not understandable that I have to exchange my fully valid German license in order to obtain an international driving license.

  4. What if you have lost your driving license in DE, then move abroad for a while, get an international driving license there in the meantime, and e.g. drive in DE with a Swedish driving license and an international extension? Will that be checked during a check to see whether you have been blocked here, and can you bypass the MPU with such a driving license?

  5. Just as a hint: there are 3 different international road traffic conventions still in force: 1926 (Paris, Germany has signed and ratified); 1949 (Geneva Germany East / West have not signed); 1968 (Germany East / West have signed and ratified). German authorities can only issue the international FS according to the agreements of 1926 and 1968. This must be taken into account when traveling to some countries (e.g. Thailand, only the agreements of 1926 and 1949 ratified). The FS of 1926 is not necessarily known to the authorities / police authorities or the car rental companies. It is best to really read the instructions from the AA and, if in doubt, take both foreign FSs with you. I've had the most interesting experiences. By the way, applying for the internal FS at my FS position only takes 15 minutes (+ previous waiting time in line, in any case on the same day).