I have hit a weight loss plateau
Why am I not losing weight anymore?
Why weight stagnates while losing weight
Do you eat a healthy diet and your weight stagnates despite your calorie deficit? This standstill on the scales is also known as the so-called plateau phase. Particularly at the beginning of a change in diet or a diet, there is significant weight loss in the first few days and weeks. Later in the course of a diet, the steps become smaller and smaller until at some point the plateau phase has been reached and weight loss stagnates.
In the following sections I would like to explain why this happens and what it can be. A plateau is something quite normal during a diet - but external factors can of course also be a reason why the weight stagnates.
That means there are two different reasons why you may no longer experience weight loss. Number 1 is the natural cause - the natural weight loss plateau. The second category relates to one or more specific flaws in your diet.
More on that now:
The plateau effect (when weight stagnates)
The motivational killer par excellence: looking at the scales ... and again no weight loss after a week. Did you stick to your diet strictly and your weight stagnated despite your calorie deficit? First of all, you have to know that our body and body weight function quite complex and the body is also a highly efficient and clever machine.
That it can come to a standstill during a running diet (even with the same calorie deficit every day) is completely normal and not a bad thing. The body adapts to a "changed environment" and reaches a performance plateau. By then, your body has probably changed too. That means you have probably already lost fat and maybe even lost or gained muscle mass (through training). These are all factors that affect your calorie consumption during the course of a diet.
Weight fluctuations are normal
In addition, body weight fluctuates by several kilograms every day. But this has nothing to do with body fat, but with our food and ingested fluids. So how can a plateau be overcome?
Overcoming the plateau phase when losing weight - The tips
The first tip is Perseverance and patience. A natural weight loss plateau can last for 1-2 weeks - despite dieting. In this case, you just have to grit your teeth and move on.
Is your weight still stagnating and your scale still not showing any weight loss? Then it is time for a new direction and a new stimulus. New basic and performance metabolism due to the change in your body through your previous diet make it necessary to recalculate your complete values and also to realign the nutrition plan. In addition, you can set new stimuli for your body with a new training plan in order to overcome the weight stoppage. In addition, your goal in weight training should be to constantly improve and improve. It doesn't necessarily have to be based on weight. An additional repetition is also an increase. Note: the less weight and muscles you have, the fewer calories your body uses per day.
Overcome the plateau when losing weight - this is how it works:
- Strictly adhere to the diet and calorie plan
- Avoid cheat days (it's better to add a little something every day)
- Increase training plan and / or change regularly
- Recalculate and check calorie requirements after weight loss
- Perseverance and patience lead to success
Your calorie goal has changed unnoticed
As already described, your body changes during a diet and also adapts to the corresponding new environment. During your diet, not only does your weight go down, but the need for calories goes down as well. It is therefore essential to recalculate the need and the nutrition plan at regular intervals (at the latest when a plateau has been reached).
Reasons for losing weight while losing weight
Calorie deficit or not ... your body runs its own plan. There are various reasons and causes that can have a negative effect on your metabolism and your weight stagnates despite a calorie deficit:
1. Excessive calorie deficit
Many people think the less I eat, the faster and better I lose weight. That's why they definitely eat less than 1000 kcal per day. It is logical that something happens quickly on the scales at the beginning ... unfortunately, liquid (water) is the most important thing here. If the deficit is too large, the body switches to an emergency mode (the body thinks it is slowly starving to death) and thus also shuts down the metabolism. All processes are slowed down and the plateau phase has been reached, in which there is no more weight loss. The body is in survival mode, so to speak. The whole thing is anything but healthy. A calorie deficit should be a maximum of 30% of total sales.
2. Wrong calorie goal
When you've lost weight, not only does your body use fewer calories each day, it also burns fewer calories when you exercise. This sometimes leads to the mistaken belief that there is no loss despite a calorie deficit. You should therefore check your calorie goal (i.e. your basic and total metabolic rate) at least once every 4-6 weeks. You can calculate these values, for example, with our
3. Hidden calories
One possible reason your weight loss is stagnating is because you are simply counting calories incorrectly or miscalculating your meals. With the exception of water and unsweetened tea, almost all foods have calories. So check again carefully what exactly you eat in one day.
4. You want too much all at once
A diet and also the weight in a diet are not always straightforward. There are ups and downs, and at some points it is perfectly normal for your weight to stagnate. But if you want too much (unrealistic weight loss goal or lose weight as quickly as possible) your motivation will decrease all the faster when plateau phases occur when losing weight.
The following tips:
- set yourself small weight loss goals which you can achieve in a few weeks / months
- then you take on the next "small goal"
- Do not weigh yourself every day but only 1-2 times a week or only use the weekly average as a comparison value
- do not try to change everything at once, but gradually devote yourself to the next step
- make sure you get enough sleep (7-8 hours per night)
- make sure you drink enough fluids (at least 2-3 liters per day)
- try to reduce your stress level
- Should we privatize DMV
- How sirens call men
- Is Eminem still at the top
- What is properly affected or affected
- What should I take to the gym
- What is healthier cigarettes or vaping
- Which are some good online coding competitions
- What is your favorite restaurant
- What should a non-exclusive contract contain
- What is time a function of
- Can we delete BITSAT in a month?
- Can you morally justify racism
- What is an electovalent connection
- Chocolate-colored beauties like men
- Makes Bitcoin transfers cheaper
- How do I hire a designer
- What is the science behind weighted blankets
- Who was Chandragupta II
- Why is the stock market so volatile
- Makes selfish life better
- What is amitose
- What do ayatollah hats mean
- Geothermal is a viable option
- K Pop was created by the CIA
- Are PTC websites trusted?
- Is BIT Sindri comparable to NIT Jamshedpur
- What's your rating of Revlon
- Is Bing safer than Google
- What Ford owners say about Ratan Tata
- Is Squarespace popular for UX UI portfolios
- Why is molarity more accurate than molarity
- Has the Pride movement been too commercialized?
- How is Israel seen in South Africa
- How is dimethyl ether slightly polar