What is acid hydrolysis
The Esterification (also ester formation) is an equilibrium and condensation reaction in which an alcohol is paired with an acid to form an ester. The acid component can be an organic acid (e.g. acetic acid, benzoic acid, citric acid) or an inorganic acid (e.g. sulfuric acid, nitric acid, phosphoric acid). The reverse reaction of the esterification is that acid Ester hydrolysis (see also hydrolysis). The basic Ester hydrolysis has a different reaction mechanism, see also under saponification.
The general reaction equation for an esterification is: acid + alcohol Ester + water
Esterification of carboxylic acids
Esters are formed when an alcohol and a carboxylic acid are combined with an acid (such as concentrated sulfuric acid) as a catalyst. This leads to an addition-elimination reaction, which Esterification is called. The reverse reaction that takes place in parallel is also referred to as acidic Ester hydrolysis or Ester cleavage.
General reaction equation for the esterification of a carboxylic acid:
Mechanism of acid catalyzed esterification
Further esterification reactions
There are a number of other ways to convert alcohols and acids or acid derivatives to esters, such. B. the reaction between alcohol and acid chloride (Schotten-Baumann method), alcohol and acid anhydride, the Steglich esterification or the Mitsunobu reaction.
The reverse reaction of the esterification is called acidic ester hydrolysis. During the saponification, the ester cleavage takes place in a basic environment. Hence it is also known as alkaline ester hydrolysis.
Category: Chemical reaction
- All sailboats have an oar
- Can I Lower Cholesterol Without Statin?
- CPS has an oversight at all
- What is the technology stack behind Bringg
- Is entrepreneurship about surviving or making a profit?
- What makes people suffer from auditory hallucinations
- What should my thesis on illegal immigration be?
- How to sketch with a pencil
- What is hash or hashish
- Why do flat earth dwellers support the theory
- Should I learn to juggle or card first?
- What would happen if all mutations stopped?
- Is mayonnaise good on keto
- How is Dell 3567 laptop
- How can we students solve problems writing
- Is salvation predetermined
- How can you develop Riolu into Lucario?
- What is IndiaMART's commission
- Does music ever make you cry
- Why is fascism legalized
- Software developers can easily learn data literacy
- What does a promise keep?
- Do you believe in a better world
- Do media really communicate with units of energy