Owns General Motors Cadillac
GM's Spring Hill plant becomes another electric vehicle location
General Motors is making the Spring Hill, Tennessee plant its third electric car manufacturing facility. The company plans to invest $ 2 billion to convert the plant. Among other things, the first electric Cadillac Lyriq is to be built in Spring Hill.
However, Spring Hill will not be a purely electric car plant - at least for the time being: GM wants to continue building combustion engines in the factory, especially the Cadillac XT6 and XT5. This will be joined in the future by the electric Lyriq, the study of which the Americans only presented a few weeks ago. The SUV gives an outlook on the future electrical design language of the GM brand and is expected to hit the market for less than 60,000 US dollars at the end of 2022. Four more electric SUVs and an electric sedan are already in the planning stage at Cadillac.
With this in mind, the renovation work in Spring Hill started immediately, General Motors announced in a press release. Among other things, the paint and body shops will be expanded, and the assembly area will also receive “comprehensive upgrades”, including new machines, conveyor belts, controls and tools.
While electricity and combustion engines are being built in parallel in Tennessee for the time being, General Motors is turning two of its plants in Michigan into pure electric car locations: the plant in Detroit-Hamtramck and the plant in Orion Township. The last combustion engine rolled off the production line in Detroit-Hamtramck in February 2020, and the factory has been converting to the production of e-cars since March. The GMC Hummer EV and later the self-driving electric car Cruise Origin are to be built there from 2021. The Americans presented the production version of the GMC Hummer EV just today.
- DISPLAY -
While the switch in Detroit had been planned for a long time, the plans for Orion Township were only announced this summer. In principle, the plant will only become an electric car location because General Motors will cease production of the Chevrolet Sonic combustion engine there due to low demand. With the production of the revised Chevrolet Bolt and the new offshoot Bolt EUV, the production facility will automatically become the second pure electric car plant after Detroit-Hamtramck. For the future, GM is keeping the option open for Orion Township to build combustion engines there again if necessary.
In the latest update to its e-model offensive, GM continues to speak of 20 electric models that the carmaker is planning for its brands by 2023. The production infrastructure for this must therefore be installed as quickly as possible. According to GM, investments of 4.5 billion US dollars are required to convert the aforementioned three electric car locations. As mentioned at the beginning, Spring Hill advises 2 billion dollars. For the conversion work in Detroit-Hamtramck, the car company is taking 2.2 billion US dollars and for Orion Township 300 million US dollars. In addition, another 800 million dollars will be spent on tooling at suppliers and other projects in connection with the introduction of the new electric pickups in and around Detroit.
After all, GM and LG Chem are investing another 2.3 billion dollars together in the construction of a battery cell factory in Lordstown in the US state of Ohio. The background to this is the founding of their joint venture Ultium Cells LLC in 2019, which is to play a key role in the electrification of General Motors. Construction work on the plant began in May. In addition to its modular Ultium battery system, General Motors also presented a family of five drive units and three motors under the name Ultium Drive in mid-September, which will power the Group's next-generation electric vehicles.
electrek.co, insideevs.com, carscoops.com, media.gm.com
- Why do philosophy professors look like philosophers
- What kind of friendships last long
- Why does change cause a stress response
- How beneficial are logistics mailing lists
- What's your favorite Twin Flame song
- Can I ride Delhi's bike in Gujarat
- What's the deal behind Canadian Thanksgiving
- What are some Drupal meetups in Australia
- What are some clever math techniques
- Why did you leave your partner
- Do you want to die alone
- What are the dark secrets of technology
- What are pesticides used for?
- What are some disadvantages of Mazda vehicles
- When did people invent clothing?
- How does photography improve photojournalism?
- Will Trump grow up 1
- What is the current monetary policy of the ECB
- How is reactive power generated
- Can Modafinil Help You Quit Weed Smoking
- How big are anonymous questions
- Free download game website
- How do elementary particles work
- How can Tony Ferguson deal with Khabib's Sambo
- What are the best browser games
- Are there any positives to playing PUBG
- Is atheism provable
- Is mustard gas made from mustard plants
- What is the lifespan of a star
- What made Jim Morrison so charismatic
- Arthritis gets better over time
- What does gas lighting look like
- What are the practical uses of chess
- How much of an Indian you are