What are props in drama
Lexicon of film terms
from lat. prop = the requested; .: properties
All smaller utensils and equipment required for the performance of a stage work are called “props” - letters and wallets, clocks and glasses, dishes of all kinds, umbrellas and sticks, newspapers and radios, cans and bottles, lamps, smoking utensils, militaria and more. Props, decorations (backdrops) and costumes made up the material equipment of a performance. The term, originally derived from theater technology, even won over when it was transferred to film, as film brings the “language of things” into play even more clearly and concisely than theater. Objects gain significance in two ways: (1) by belonging to a historical, social or subcultural style, (2) by their functional role in the piece. Especially with regard to belonging to a “style” or to a “social milieu”, the prop must be carefully selected; inhomogeneities are easily noticeable and destroy the illusion.
For the provision of the props is the Prop master responsible.
Literature: Dingel, Joachim: The prop in Greek tragedy. Diss. Tübingen 1967. Excerpt: prop and scenic image. In: The forms of the Greek tragedy. Edited by Walter Jens. Munich: Fink 1971, pp. 347-367. - Black, Hans-Günther: The silent sign. The symbolic use of props. Bonn: Bouvier 1974.
Article last changed on December 20, 2012
- How do I get a spirometry data set
- How can high blood sugar cause atherosclerosis
- How do you teach improvisation
- What are foreign snacks similar to French fries?
- Who needs a YouTube intro 1
- How does a socialist housing policy work
- Do cell phones work in a Faraday cage?
- Social media is moving too fast
- A Macbook Pro SSD is worth it
- Mechanics Physics Is movement periodic
- Which technology stack does Qwiki
- Why did Michael Arrington start TechCrunch
- If 5x 1 6 what is x
- What caused the current shortage of ammunition
- What happened to Bitcoin Quick
- How do you become a personable leader
- Why avoid chain smoking
- What is a chemical composition of kidney stones
- Did Hitler kill the Nazis
- What is a macroscopic system
- What is a political campaign strategy
- What are Scam Courier Services in India
- What determines whether a substance can burn
- How do interactive whiteboards improve learning?
- How will biotechnology help in my career
- How do I become an ENTP
- How do you get a stronger stomach
- English ivy is a bad plant
- Who was Akira Kurosawa
- Is fantasy personal collective or both
- Why is the light in the refrigerator yellow
- On what equipment do bicycles go fast?
- Which movie scene drew you for life?